Saturday, November 20, 2010

Jiankou Great Wall

In the beginning of October I visited the famous Great Wall for the first time. We were invited to spend a long weekend in a small village of less than 200 inhabitants at the base of the Jiankou section.

The Jiankou Great Wall is a breathtakingly beautiful unrestored section from the Ming Dynasty. It is one of the few "wild" sections of the wall still left in its original state. The paths along the wall were overgrown and the stones were crumbling. There were many areas where we had to help each other climb and some areas are impossible to scale without ropes and proper climbing gear.

The weather was perfect, blue skies and not a cloud to be found. When we reached the top of the mountain, everywhere we looked the wall twisted and turned off into the distance. It truly is a wonder to behold.


DSC08197



This is NOT where most tourists go.





It just keeps going and going and going and going...

...and going and going and going...

Great Love on the Great Wall ;D









DSC08256









P1100957



DSC08359

My boyfriend is hot.  <3!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well done ! You are so brave and adventurous! These are great pictures of the Great Wall! Which reminds me... I should go through my India pictures and post some. Having read this I thought it was rather informative. I appreciate you finding the time and energy to put this article together. I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it! In return, I also found a great blog of Jinshanling travel tips, I'd love to share it here with you and for future travelers. http://www.wildgreatwall.com/how-difficult-is-it-to-do-great-wall-one-day-hike-from-jinshanling-to-simatai-west/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this briiliant post and all the lovely pics--Your pictures are amazing. Just looking at those pictures make me want to climb the Great Wall of China now. I also found a great blog of Jinshanling travel tips, I’d love to share it here with you and for future travelers.
    http://www.wildgreatwall.com/how-difficult-is-it-to-hike-from-jiankou-to-mutianyu/

    ReplyDelete